Banshee is an in development C++ powered 3D game engine with an editor. Written in modern C++14 with a comprehensive editor and supporting Vulkan rendering, Banshee3D is a project with a lot of potential. Two things impress me about Banshee3D, how fast it’s progressing and the fact it’s the work of a single guy. He just updated on /r/gamedev the recent developments the editor has undergone.
- Physically based renderer – About 70% complete. See link below for an early screenshot.
- C++ framework – I plan to release the entire engine core under the MIT license. It will be usable as a pure C++ gamedev framework similar to SFML/SDL but with a larger scope.
- Documentation enhancements – Over a HUNDRED new manuals have been added.
- Unified shading language – New unified shading language allows you to develop shaders that work on DirectX, OpenGL and Vulkan, while also supporting high level concepts not available in HLSL/GLSL.
- Automatic script binding generation – Automatic code generation support for script bindings ensures C# API can now nearly transparently match the C++ API, as well as opening the door for easy addition of new scripting languages.
- First stable release – Planned for late 2017/early 2018.