The final release of Blender before Blender 3.0, Blender 2.93 LTS has just been released. The Blender 2.93 LTS release is a Long Term Support release that will continue to receive patches for the next two years and is the ideal version if you are just starting out on a long term project and require stability. Blender is moving towards a node based workflow and Geometry Nodes are a huge first step in that process.
Blender 2.93 has several excellent new features, including:
- First step in “Everything as Nodes”, Geometry Nodes received several improvements and 22 new nodes. Excellent examples available here.
- New “Spreadsheet Editor” for dealing with raw vertex data
- Sculpting improvements including Mask Loops & Patterns, Mask Textures and Flexible Face sets
- Grease pencil line art modifier, for creating ink like profile using Grease Pencil over 3D meshes
- Import SVG as Grease Pencil and export Grease Pencil as SVG and PDF for integration with external tools
- EEVEE real-time rendering improvements
- Cycles rendering improvements including Intel DeNoise 1.3 support and Persistent Data for faster renders
- Much, much more.