Back in March I reported that Ludei was bringing WebGL support to their HTML5 performance wrapper, CocoonJS. Today I received the following email:
The latest version of our Cloud and Launcher is available now!
The wait is finally over! CocoonJS1.4 is NOW available in Google Play! We are still pending approval with the Apple App Store, so please check daily for its debut! This version includes the following awesome features:
- WebGL support is now available! For the first time ever, publish your 3D games to iOS and Android devices!
- Convenient 1-click Publishing to 5 App Stores — bundles generated for: Apple, Google Play, Amazon, Chrome Store, Pokki
- Improved Configuration Options for the Ludei Cloud Compiler
- Updated Third Party SDKs — advertisements, social integration and in-app payments
- Improved Resources Management
- Improved Audio Implementation that supports more HTML5 features
- Improved webview support allowing you to develop HTML5 web apps while still having all our extensions available to monetize and make your game or app successful
- And much more!! Click here to read the blog post!
This means you can now develop WebGL games and use Cocoon to deploy them to iOS and Android. I am not sure if you ever tried running a WebGL application in a mobile browser… it’s appalling. None of the official browsers support WebGL, and the few that do ( Dolphin? ) got abysmal framerates. So, if you want to run a high performance WebGL based game on mobile devices, CocoonJS is about your only option.
If you’ve never heard of CocoonJS, it’s basically a high performance, striped down browser optimized for gaming. It acts as a host for your game, so you bundle your game and Cocoon together to create an App Store deployable application.
In the same release, Ludei also announced:
Ludei Secures $1.5M in Funding
We just announced that we recently received $1.5M in funding from key venture capitalists and angel investors, further validating the increasing industry support of HTML5 development. Click here to read more.
So you don’t need to worry about they going anywhere sometime soon!