The highlights of the release are:
- Rewritten Auto-Completion in the Code-Editor. Supports a lot of scenarios and perform smart-completion of node types if a scene where the script is being used is open.
- Visual Shader Editor (Edit shaders connecting nodes)
- New API in OS for managing the screens and window, with multi-monitor support.
- Largely rewritten 2D engine, with support for:
- Shaders (Visual and Code)
- 2D Materials
- 2D Independent Z ordering per-node.
- 2D Lights
- 2D Shadows with Polygonal Occluders
- 2D Normal Mapping
- Back-Buffer compositing for shaders that read from screen (allows all sorts of post-processing effects).
- Improved Isometric TileMap Support (proper Z ordering of tiles and children nodes).
- Distance-Field font support.
- New 2D Navigation Polygon support, for efficient 2D pathfinding. Navigation Polygons can be edited visually and combined, disabled, etc.
- Improved Usability in 2D Physics API:
- Area2D and RigidBody2D can receive input events
- Area2D can detect overlap with another Area2D
- New Dark Theme
- Much Improved Blender Collada Exporter (BetterCollada).
- Large amount of bug fixes and smaller improvements.
Full (enormous) changelog since 1.0 here.
They also put together a video showcasing the new features:
Of course, if you are interested in learning more GFS has an extensive Godot Tutorial Series to get you started.