Microsoft is a different sort of company these days. Starting back in 2014 they released the free community edition of Visual Studio. Then in April of this year they launched the light weight and cross platform (and completely free) Visual Studio Code. Today they announced the launch of Visual Studio Dev Essentials.
So what exactly does Dev Essentials include?
- Visual Studio Community
- Visual Studio Code
- Visual Studio Express
- Team Foundation Server Express
Of those products only Team Foundation Server is new I believe. So mostly it’s a rebranding of the tools we’ve already got. However it’s the add-ons that make the package.
- Pluralsight 6 month subscription
- Xamarin University Mobile Training
- WintellectNOW 3 month subscription
- Microsoft Virtual Academy
- HackHands Live Programming Help $25 Credit
- Priority Forum Support
- Azure Credits ($25/month for 12 months)
- Visual Studio Team Services account with 5 users
- App Service Free Tier
- PowerBI free tier
- HackeyApp free tier
- Application Insights free tier
For Mac Developers
- Parallels Desktop Pro 3 months subscription
- Parallels Acceess 3 months subscription
- Windows Platform VM 60 days
- Office Online Apps
Now many of these services are either limited time or coming soon, so not everything is available today and not everything is available for ever. So if this program sounds interesting to you, head on over here for more information.
News GameDev News