The long running open source C++ framework Ogre just released Ogre 2.1 Baldur. Performance optimizations, a new compositor and shading system and more top the list of features.
Highlight features from the release announcement:
- Hlms (High Level Material System) to generate shaders automatically. Replaces RTSS and manual shaders
- PBS – Physically Based Shading
- New Compositor. More flexible, faster and powerful
- Refactored Ogre 1.x to increase performance by several factors; using cache friendly techniques (Data Oriented Design), SIMD instructions, AZDO (Approaching Zero Driver Overhead), auto instancing, and multithreading
- Windows Vista/7/8/10 support, macOS via Metal and OpenGL, iOS via Metal, Linux via OpenGL
- Many new features: Area lights, Parallax Corrected Cubemaps, Forward Clustered lights, HDR, Exponential Shadowmaps and more