Spine is a 2D bone based animation system compatible with almost every modern game engine. I recently covered Spine in this detailed review a couple months ago. Esoteric Software just released version 3.3.0 today. The biggest features of this release are certainly animatable paths and path constraints. That said, there are several changes in this release:
- Added paths (cubic splines) that are keyable and weightable.
- Added path constraints so a bone can follow a path.
- Bounding boxes are now keyable and weightable.
- Bounding boxes now have a color.
- IK and transform constraints now appear under the target bone in the tree.
- Added constraints to tree filter.
- Constraints can now be created by clicking
New...on a bone’s properties in the tree.
- Can drag/drop or copy/paste to copy transforms for bounding boxes and paths.
- Fixed root bone translation not following parent or world axes.
- Changed automatic backup file names to include the Spine version number.
- Icons for clickable bone labels.
Matchbutton for transform constraints to set the offset values to match the bone’s current transform.
- Fixed vertices in selection groups sometimes not working after a project reload.
- Selection group internals have changed, selection groups in older projects have been cleared (sorry).
- Fixed position of self intersecting bounding boxes.
- Local shear is disabled on IK parent bones. The math is insurmountable. Local nonuniform scale is fine and it can still inherit nonuniform scale and shear.
- Fixed exiting edit bounding box mode without creating vertices.
Select bonesbutton now also selects the bones in the tree.
- Fixed single bone IK with nonuniform scale.
- Fixed automatic backups being created even when disabled.
Import Projectare now available in the trial.
- Faster image export when loading many different images.
- Fixed exporting multiple skins not loading the images correctly.
- Fixed mesh, bounding box, and path tool origin from jumping after manipulation and undo/redo.
- Increased zoom in amount.
Weightsview doesn’t lose selected bones when undo/redo is used.
- Added a
Set Parentbutton when multiple images are selected.
- Higher contrast for selected dopesheet bones.
Posetool translation no longer loses the current selection.
- Fixed horizontal scrollbar scaling in lists.
- Fixed file dialog on OS X, no longer shows full path as file name.
- Slightly smaller project file size.
- Fixed a number of hotkeys when a non-English language is used.
- Tool and bone selection colors aren’t drawn when using color dialog.
- Added bone transforms to
- Fixed IK mix from rotating the wrong direction in some cases.
- Can now paste keys from one IK/transform/path constraint to another.
- Fixed transform constraints showing as edited but not keyed (yellow).
- Click + drag on multiple visibility dots now uses a single undo/redo step.
Eventsnode visibility when there are multiple skeletons and when duplicating a skeleton.
- Hovering over a bone or slot label highlights it in both the viewport and tree.
- Attachments and bones can now be selected via the tree even if hidden or selection is disabled by the
Optionspanel on the main toolbar.
- Fixed tree not scrolling to correct location in some situations.
- Fixed color chooser slightly changing some color values.
- Increased time to show image preview for region and mesh attachments versus image files.
- Improved constraint icons and colors.
- Improved tree selection when shift and/or ctrl are held.
- Tree expands and scrolls to selection when filters change.
- Enforced inherit rotation and scale for IK constrained bones.
- Entering mesh/bounding box edit mode no longer shows images/others.
- Constraint bone/slot/attachment labels truncate long names in tree properties.
- When changing attachment visibility, if the previously visible attachment was selected in the tree, the newly visible attachment is selected.
- Fixed select box list display location.
- Fixed FPS label color.
- Dopesheet now highlights rotate, translate, scale, or shear timelines depending on which tool is selected.
- Darker triangles lines in mesh edit mode.
- Bones are only shown with weight colors when the
Weightstool is active.
Createtool mouse cursor icon disappearing after deselection.
- Transform constraints can now constrain multiple bones.
- Arrow keys can translate in mesh edit mode.
- Arrow keys work when vertices are selected with the
- Hold shift with the
Createtool when creating a new bone to keep the parent bone selected, to more easily create many siblings.
- Bone and image compensation buttons are now highlighted when compensation is applied.
- When no bones are selected, the
Createtool selects the root bone if the project contains only one skeleton.
- Better relative path calculation, preventing
../back to the drive root.
Set Parentworks for multiple slots or bones.
- Numeric transform entry is applied as you type.
- Prevented double clicking launcher buttons.
- Better horizontally tree scrolling when viewport objects are selected.