Tiled, the most popular 2D open source map editor, just released version 1.5. If you are interested in learning more about Tiled, we have a multi-part tutorial series available here. The 1.5 release includes the following features:
- Wang and Terrain tools unified into a single toolset
- Terrain tools now support flipping and rotating tiles
- Parallax scrolling factor per layer enables you to see parallax effects in editor
- Can now export to GameMaker Studio 2.3 and MapTool
- New customization options including selection behaviours, autoscrolling and smooth scrolling
- Scripting extensions including ability to load, save and modify images as well as launch external processes
- Dozens of fixes and improvements
The complete Tiled 1.5 release notes are available here. Tiled 1.5 is open source under the GPL license with the source code hosted on GitHub. Documentation on the new terrain tools has been updated and is available here while the new scripting features are documented here. If you have any questions or comments, be sure to check out the Tiled discord available here.
You can learn more about the Tiled 1.5 being released in the video below.