Toonz is a 2D animation package which has now been open sourced under the New BSD license as OpenToonz. Toonz has a long history in 2D animation for inking, painting and digital composition and has been used extensively by Studio Ghibli on such projects as Princess Mononoke and others. Toonz dates back to the early 90s in SGI machines.
From the OpenToonz site:
- This is software for producing a 2D animation.
It is based on the software “Toonz”, which was developed by Digital Video S.p.A. in Italy, customized by Studio Ghibli, and has been used for creating its works for many years. Dwango launches this OpenToonz project, in cooperation with Digital Video and Studio Ghibli.
- This software can be used by anyone free of charge, no matter whether the purpose of use is commercial or not.
- This is available as an open source, so that users can modify its source code freely.
- We aim to develop a new platform for connecting the academic research into frontline animation production.
Studio Ghibli also contributed GTS, a scanning tool as part of OpenToonz:
- Sequence number scanning can be conducted efficiently according to in-between animation numbers.
- Compatible with 4 types of scanning.
(black-and-white, colored, with or without binarization)
- The settings for scanning can be saved. Processes can be reproduced when some cuts are rescanned.
- Compatible with the TWAIN standards