After a good period of development time, Unity 5.5 is finally out of beta. Well worth the wait however, Unity 5.5 contains an impressive number of new features.
Some of the major features of the 5.5 release include:
- addition of Microsoft HoloLens support.
- codeless In-App purchases
- improved particle systems
- new light module, attach lights to particles
- new noise module
- new Trails module
- improved Color Gradient tools
- improved Animation Window workflow
- new box tool for improved keyframe management
- clamped-auto tangent mode in curve editor
- better line renderer component
- new splash screen tool
- Look Dev, an HDR image based lighting tool
- Visual Studio Code support
- Unity Collaborate (team server) available in Beta
These are just the major features of the release, there are dozens more detailed in the release notes available here.
As this is a full release and not a beta , Unity 5.5 is available for download using the usual download page.