Welcome to hopefully what will be a new series, Awesome Godot. This series will shine a focus on some of the most interesting add-ons for the Godot game engine, starting today with Sprite Painter. To qualify for coverage on this list, the add-on must be:
- for Godot
- recently updated (Godot 4.x) and under active development or maintenance
- be awesome
Today’s feature, Sprite Painter fits all of those categories. It is described as:
It paints sprites… and not just them.
Just press the colorful button above the viewport to edit a Node’s texture, or an image file in the project folder!
– Classic, customizable tools, including the 1-pixel Pencil, the round Brush and Eraser, Solid and Gradient fill, Box and Wand selection, Shape and Line drawing;
– Clone, Fill and Normal Map brushes for more drawing possibilities;
– Some Scripts to change the whole image or just the selection;
– Quick operations on the image: flip, rotate, and resize;
– Hold Alt to pick color from image or editor window;
– Grid overlay for Sprites with Frames and Maps with Tiles;
– Region overlays for Atlastextures and Spriteframes;
– Full Undo support.
You can learn more about the Sprite Painter add-on for the Godot game engine and see it in action in the video below. If you have recommendations for future Godot add-ons/plugins to cover in the future simply add them to the comments on the video or in the announcement on Discord and I will keep them in mind for the future.