So I finally got around to moving from 2.56 –> 2.57 and apparently it some API changes seem to have broken the Unity importing. In my case, once saving the .blend file to my assets directory I get an error message of “Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file”. The solution was found on the Unity forums in the post by user Woodn. For simplicities sake and due to the importance of this fix, I will repost it here. Again, all credit goes to woodn for compiling this fix, and to alewinn and jorrit. Thanks!
Ok, collecting all infos until unity is updated officially:
Credits go to jorrit and Alewinn!
– Get Blender 2.57a from blender.org or a recent build from graphicall.org and unzip it somewhere. Assign blend files to open with the just downloaded blender.app.
– Browse to the Unity folder and right-click “Unity.app” and select ” Show Package content”. Then browse to the folder Contents/Tools/ and backup “Unity-BlenderToFBX.py”. Then replace it with the one in the attached zip file or change the lines described by alewinn a few posts above yourself.
– Get Blender 2.57a from blender.org or a recent build from graphicall.org and unzip it somewhere. If you use a zip package, make sure you register the blender.exe by executing “blender.exe -r” in a cmd prompt or with a shortcut. If you use the installer, you don’t need to do this.
– Browse to the C:Program Files (x86)UnityEditorDataTools folder and backup “Unity-BlenderToFBX.py”. Then Replace it with the one in the attached zip file or change the lines described by alewinn a few posts above yourself.
Once I replaced the .py script and restarted Unity, everything worked normally again.
File attached below.