The open source 2D game engine GDevelop just released beta 84 of their 5.0.0 branch. Major features of b84 are BBCode formatting support, dozens of new layer effects, improvements to the integrated pixel graphics editor and more.
New features in beta 84 from the release notes:
Add dozens of new effects for layers, and allow developers to easily create extensions bringing new effects.
- See an (incomplete!) list of effects available on the wiki.
- Thanks @Bouh and @blurymind for porting, trying and setting up these new effects for GDevelop: Black and White, Noise, CRT, Godray, Tilt shift, Advanced bloom, Kawase blur, Zoom blur, Displacement, Color Map, Pixelate, Reflection.
- Want to add a new shader effect to GDevelop? Take a look at the explanations about effects here.
- Support for effects on objects will be added in a next version
New object BBText (thanks @blurymind!)
- Display rich text on screen, formatted using BBCode: customize size, color, make part of the text italic, bold and add shadows or outline.
- Read the documentation about the object and see an example online.
Improvements in Piskel sprite editor (thanks @blurymind!)
- Color index shift brush (useful for cell shading sprites)
- Ability to source all layers when using the bucket tool
- Palette transfer tool (apply the currently selected palette colors to the frame you are on)
Add an option to automatically resize game resolution to window or screen size. It’s recommended to activate it especially for games on mobile phones.
Be sure to check the complete release notes for more details of the release. You can learn more about GDevelop in our hands-on video embedded below.