If you are looking for a streamlined but lightning quick alternative to Visual Studio Code, the in development Lapce editor may soon be perfect for you. It is currently very early in development, yet is already a very useable product. Lapce is written using the Rust language, is open source and has a heavy focus on performance. The editor is available on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Key Features of Lapce include:
- Built-in LSP (Language Server Protocol) support to give you intelligent code features such as: completion, diagnostics and code actions
- Modal editing support as first class citizen (Vim-like, and toggleable)
- Built-in remote development support inspired by VSCode Remote Development. Enjoy the benefits of a “local” experience, and seamlessly gain the full power of a remote system.
- Plugins can be written in programming languages that can compile to the WASI format (C, Rust, AssemblyScript)
- Built-in terminal, so you can execute commands in your workspace, without leaving Lapce.
You can learn more about the Lapce code editor and see it in action in the video below. While an early project, this lightweight IDE has a ton of potential.