MakeHuman 1.1 was just released today. This marks the first release to Make Human in nearly two years and adds major new functionality such as a new pose system and completely new and more game friendly skeleton support. MakeHuman started life as a Blender plugin but was since spun off into a stand alone application. It enables people to quickly and easily create fully rigged and textured human models. Oh and it’s complete free and released under the CC0 Creative Commons open source license, perhaps the most liberal license in existence.
Major components of this release include:
- Many bug fixes and stability fixes
- Many targets improved and minor modeling corrections
- Completely new skeleton and posing system, with support for pose loading from BVH, and support for custom weight and proxies
- New pose system with auto-rigging, support for T-pose export, and initial support for special poses like high heel shoes
- New skin library with age variation
- New expression system now based on a face bone rig, including a library with facial expressions.
- Improved topologies/proxies
- FBX export now supports binary FBX and should work for most third-part applications which support FBX
You can read the full release notes here.
You can watch a video of MakeHuman in action below.