Unreal Engine have just launched a new iPhone App called Live Link that enables real-time facial capture for Unreal Engine using an iPhone 10x or newer. The requirements are Unreal Engine 4.25 or higher as well as an iPhone with a “True Depth” front facing camera.
Details of the App from the Apple App Store:
Virtual production-ready facial animation in real time from your iPhone — Live Link Face for UnrealEngine.
Stream high-quality facial expressions to characters and visualize them with live rendering in UnrealEngine. Record facial tracking data that can be further fine-tuned in animation tools to achieve a finalperformance and assembled in Unreal Engine’s Sequencer. Shoot professional-grade performance capture with an integrated stage workflow.
Facial animation via front-camera and ARKit:
- Stream out the data live to an Unreal Engine instance via Live Link over a network.
- Drive a 3D preview mesh, optionally overlaid over the video reference on the phone.
- Record the raw facial animation data and front-facing video reference footage.
Timecode support for multi-device synchronization:
- Select from the iPhone system clock, an NTP server, or use a Tentacle Sync to connect with a master clock on stage.
- Video reference is frame accurate with embedded timecode for editorial.
Control Live Link Face remotely with OSC:
- Trigger recording externally so actors can focus on their performances.
- Capture slate names and take numbers consistently.
- Extract data automatically for archival.
Browse and manage the captured library of takes within Live Link Face:
- Delete takes, share via AirDrop.
- Play back the reference video on the phone.